A professional singer at the age of three, Mel Torme was a genuine musical prodigy. As a teenager, he played the drums in Chico Marx 's band and earned the nickname "The Velvet Fog" because of his smooth, mellow tenor voice. In the 1940s, he formed his own group, the Mel-Tones, one of the first jazz-influenced vocal groups.
- Melvin Howard Torme
- September 13, 1925 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
28. Feb. 2023 · Not exactly a youngster at age 37, Mel Tormé had long established himself as a crooner and scat-singer extraordinaire by 1962. Nonetheless, Atlantic Records sought to freshen Tormé’s sound — and entice a younger audience — with the LP Comin’ Home Baby, the title song of which had a cool R&B groove, a taut Claus
23. Feb. 2023 · Mel Tormé, a pop and jazz crooner whose smooth delivery and wooly timbre earned him the nickname "The Velvet Fog," was born on this day (September 13) in Chicago in 1925. Tormé was the consummate entertainer, a musician whose repository of skills also included writing, arranging, drumming and acting. Tormé began his career as a
10. März 2023 · Mel Tormé Nicknamed “The Velvet Fog” for his smooth, high tenor voice, Tormé was renowned for his versatility: in addition to singing and scatting brilliantly, he composed, arranged, acted, wrote books and played drums and piano.
13. März 2023 · Mel Tormé Whilst his smooth, tenor voice saw him named “The Velvet Fog”, Mel Tormé was renowned for an impressive versatility during his career; as well as singing and scatting as well as anyone, he composed songs, arranged music, worked as an actor and author, and played piano and drums.