9. Nov. 2023 · Eastern Bloc. East Germany. Historian Katya Hoyer has caused a sensation with her new history of everyday life in East Germany. On the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, she spoke to Jacobin about why that state failed — and why reunification didn’t live up to expectations.
16. Nov. 2023 · Here’s a conversation with those who grew up either side of the Berlin wall. Disclosure: Some of the websites in this post include affiliate links. This is at no extra cost to you and their inclusion hasn’t swayed my opinion or recommendations. Growing Up in East Germany: The Other Side.
9. Nov. 2023 · Historian Katya Hoyer has caused a sensation with her new history of everyday life in East Germany. On the anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, she spoke to Jacobin about why that state ...
9. Nov. 2023 · 9 Nov 2023 A crowd celebrates on top of the Berlin Wall in front of the Brandenburg Gate after the Wall opened on November 9, 1989. Jürgen Ritter The German word for East is Ost. Straightforward enough, one might think. But in the once-divided country where I grew up, the word still carries geopolitical reverberations.
Vor 3 Tagen · The inner German border (German: innerdeutsche Grenze or deutsch–deutsche Grenze; initially also Zonengrenze) was the frontier between the German Democratic Republic (GDR, East Germany) and the Federal Republic of Germany (FRG, West Germany) from 1949 to 1990.
Vor einem Tag · The installation of the Wall in 1961 brought an end to a decade during which the divided capital of divided Germany was one of the easiest places to move west across the Iron Curtain. The barrier was always a short distance inside East German territory to avoid any intrusion into Western territory. The actual borderline was marked by ...
13. Nov. 2023 · Born in East Berlin in 1967, Jenny Erpenbeck was 22 when the Wall that had divided her native city for her entire life fell. The socialist German Democratic Republic (GDR), the only country she had known, vanished overnight.