A public 4–year high school in Chicago, Illinois, named for the American abolitionist Wendell Phillips. Founded in 1904, it is the first predominantly African-American high school in the city and a Chicago Landmark. It offers courses for adults and has a hall of fame.
- "The Premiere South Side School of Choice."
- Rashad J. Talley
- September 4, 1904
- Chicago Public Schools
Wendell Phillips is the oldest Black high school in the City of Chicago, although it opened as a predominately white school on September 4, 1904. Phillips had replaced the old South Division High School, established in 1875, which had been located at 26th and Wabash.
8. Dez. 2020 · grade B minus. View Full Report Card. Phillips Academy High School is a public school located in CHICAGO, IL. It has 723 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 5% of students are at least proficient in math and 5% in reading.
- (773) 535-1603
- 244 E PERSHING RD, CHICAGO, 60653, IL
8. Feb. 2022 · Named for an abolitionist and an advocate for Native American rights, Wendell Phillips Academy High School was founded in 1904, and it would later become Chicago’s first predominantly Black ...
3. Nov. 2021 · Damage on Door 9 at Wendell Phillips Academy High School in Bronzeville on Oct. 29, 2021. On Oct. 12, a gunman opened fire when school let out, striking the security guard and a 14-year-old student. Credit: Colin Boyle/Block Club Chicago
9. Sept. 2022 · GRAND BOULEVARD — The city’s oldest predominately Black high schools has a major upgrade: a multimillion-dollar athletic annex. On Wednesday, elected officials, students, staff and alumni poured into Wendell Phillips’s new gymnasium, 244 E. Pershing Road, for a ribbon-cutting of the school’s two-story, $17 million, 21,260 ...